Monday, August 10, 2009

Thoughts on Thinning

Apple trees need to be thinned. This means reducing the amount of fruit the tree produces naturally. We do this because the tree produces as many blossoms as it can, in order to increase its chances of reproduction. But apple growers want quality fruit. So we reduce the quantity, in order to redirect the trees' energy to growing the tastiest fruit possible.

Conventional growers spray chemicals on the trees shortly after pollination (in general). The weaker buds fall off, and what's left becomes big, healthy fruit. But I can't use those sprays, so I have to use alternative approaches. This year, that means hand-thinning.

I have learned this: thinning by hand is INSANE. It's absurdly time-consuming, and for a rookie like me, it can even be scary. Some of the trees are quite tall, and getting high enough to reach all the fruit can be precarious. Jody and I have both had some heart-stopping moments when the ladder wobbled. Yikes. Also, I'm having a really hard time finding hired hands to help. I had assumed that there would always be guys around who were looking for work. And that may be true. But I don't know yet how to find them. So we're behind on the work. So I apologize for the effect that might have on the trees.

That said, there is SO MUCH FRUIT out there. You will absolutely believe you are in Eden when you come. And yes, I'll have lots of different recipes to give you, to help you use up all that wonderful fruit!

No comments: